Stuart's Peugeot 306 Forum

Previous Topic | Forum Index | Next Topic

cambelt quandary advice please

Posted by reburton, Fri 24 Feb 2012 5:36 pm
Hi
Ive just bought a Peugeot 306 L Diesel (5 Door Hatchback), it was cheap because the paint is falling off! So I paid £500 for it, its X reg - 2001. Now its done 146000 miles. Theres no paper with it. I asked the guy about the cambelt, he says it was changed at 102000. My garage wants £250 to change the cambelt but also say they change them at 75000 miles. So do I gamble on the seller being honest and the 102 being right or is the car (which seems mechanically OK) worth me spending another £250 on it?

Thanks

If you find this information useful, please consider supporting this website.

Posted by StuartDalby, Fri 24 Feb 2012 7:33 pm
My recommendation would be to live with the car for a few months to see how you get on. (Might be worth being a little bit gentle with it during this time just in case the cambelt is old.) You should get a feel for the general state of the car, how much confidence you have in what the seller told you about its history and how long you think you might end up keeping it for. You might then be in a better position to decide whether to spend £250 on a new cambelt or not.

Hope that helps,
Stuart
Posted by reburton, Sat 25 Feb 2012 7:23 pm
Thanks thats pretty much what my mechanic told me. Im think perhaps if a local mobile mechanic can do it cheaper then ill go for it as the car seems ok on two days of driving it, apart from the annoying intermitant fault on the speedo which seems to blight these cars. i can live with that!

Want to add a reply? Contact Me