Stuart's Volkswagen Golf Mk 7/VII Forum

Previous Topic | Forum Index

DPF experiences

Posted by private, Sun 16 Oct 2016 2:07 pm Edit | Delete
Stuart -I have enjoyed your diaries over the years and reading those on your new model. Your recent piece on the DPF (http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk7/dpf ) prompts me to tell you my experiences with a 2012 2.0 TDI golf estate. Since new I have ran this on Shell V Power diesel and apart from the smooth running and excellent mpg the effect on DPF regeneration is most marked, I drive a mainly urban cycle with occasional motorway runs but DPF regeneration is very rare indeed. Lack of VCDS data to back this up ; but my theory is that the very clean fuel results in low ash build up and absence of DPF active regens. Must be good also for the EGR valve and reported problems with the 1.6 & 2.0 engines. So far 48000 miles and the number of active regens counted on less than both hands !
Posted by StuartDalby, Mon 17 Oct 2016 7:16 pm
Hello John,

Thank you very much for sharing your DPF experiences.

I hadn't considered the effects that using premium diesel might have on DPF function. With my Mk 5 Golf I did try using such fuels a couple of times and whilst noticing slight differences, I wasn't persuaded to use them regularly. I didn't consider their effects on an EGR valve or DPF as my MK 5 Golf didn't have these.

As I've not had my Mk 7 that long I'm still learning how it performs with my current usage. When I've got to know it a bit better I will look into this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

One final thought: How do you know when your car is performing an active regeneration?

Stuart
Posted by private, Tue 18 Oct 2016 10:35 am Edit | Delete
Hi Stuart

I have used the high performance diesel on my Mk 6 and my wife's Mk 5. I
think the cleaning properties of Shell V power diesel is not to be
underestimated. When you read blogs on failing EGR valves on the 1.6 and 2.0
l VAG engines the risk of failure with these modern diesel units is very
high. Our Mk 5 08 plate golf now on 82000 with no repairs or probs. Regular
services & oil changes only.
Mk 6 golf when filled with V-Power registers at least 640 available miles
on tank full ( on car computer) This is pretty good I think for my driving
style and 2.0l DSG model. I suggest you run to nearly empty and then try a
couple of tank fulls of V- Power and see what the predictive range would be.
What is it now with your fuel?

As for DPF and active regens- as I said very rare to notice one as it is
weeks and many miles ( 3-5000 miles but not kept a note) between the active
cycle. But on the odd occasion - high revs at tickover and fan running and
if interrupted fan continues to run.

It would be very informative for you to use VCDS and plot the effect of
V-Power on your Active/Passive regen cycles to compare with your illustrated
data.

Keep up the good info Stuart

Best regards

John
Posted by StuartDalby, Tue 18 Oct 2016 11:34 am
Hi John,

I've been wondering if my 1.9 TDI Mk 5 (http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5 ) had EGR or not. After a little research, I now believe it did. As you probably know, my Mk 5 had over 170,000 miles on it after 12 years and I never had any problems with the engine, even using mostly supermarket fuel. But then again, I think my typical journeys are probably as easy on an engine as you could get. Not to mention my much-advocated regular blasts to expel soot from the exhaust system. I never did this in order to prevent a particular problem but I always thought it must be better to get that soot out rather than leaving it in. Maybe I was unknowingly looking after the EGR?

So I'm inclined to think it is the type of journeys that have a much greater impact on EGR health than the type of fuel. In your situation, using premium diesel is probably a sensible precaution. I will try premium diesel though when I get chance to confirm.

I remember seeing 620miles as the range on my Mk 7 but I'm not sure if that was straight after filling. I have no complaints about MPG. Most journeys average at least 65mpg.

As for detecting active regenerations of the DPF, I wonder if some have occurred without you knowing? That regen I logged on my website occurred during just over 10 minutes within a 30minute section of motorway driving. I wouldn't have known it had occurred if I'd not been logging it.

Stuart

Want to comment on this page? Contact Me