Stuart's Volkswagen Golf Mk 5/V Forum

Previous Topic | Forum Index | Next Topic

Radiator fan

Posted by private, Tue 20 Jun 2017 7:21 pm Edit | Delete
Hi Stuart at wat temperature do the cooling fans kick in as it's been very hot today drove 16 miles 20 mins then left at running for 20 mins still no fans. Vw say they don't normally kick in unless something drastic happens like a temp sensor fails is that right

Thanks martin

If you find this information useful, please consider supporting this website.

Posted by StuartDalby, Wed 21 Jun 2017 9:03 pm
Hi Martin,

I believe that there are two fans in all Mk 5s: a large one and a small one. I think each can run at different speeds depending upon conditions. I'm not exactly sure of their logic but since VW engines usually run with a coolant temperature of about 90C I wouldn't expect them to kick in below that.

Hope that helps,
Stuart
Posted by private, Wed 21 Jun 2017 9:45 pm Edit | Delete
Yeah it runs at that but I had it running for 20 mins yesterday in the heat straight after I drove 20 miles and still didn't kick in I rang vw and they said that unless there was a problem with the car they don't normally kick in. Would that be right
Posted by StuartDalby, Thu 22 Jun 2017 9:23 am
Sounds right to me.

Stuart
Posted by private, Thu 22 Jun 2017 9:38 am Edit | Delete
So basically unless there is a problem the fan won't come on?

What I don't understand is I drive 16 miles in that heat was running at 90 degrees
Then when I got to my destination was left for 20 mins running why did the fan not cut in because surly the engine gets hotter the longer it runs or does the 1.9 tdi engine run at 90 degrees and does not get any hotter

Thanks

Martin
Posted by StuartDalby, Thu 22 Jun 2017 10:04 am
So long as the coolant temperature was staying around 90 degrees, there is no need for extra cooling irrespective of whether you are moving or standing still.

That said, I would have expected one fan to be turning although possibly not at full speed and so you probably wouldn't be able to hear it above the sound of the engine. Did you observed both fans not turning?

Stuart
Posted by private, Thu 22 Jun 2017 11:23 am Edit | Delete
They were not moving wen I looking at them but one moved wen I done the journey back but would that be the air moving them. Like you said I can't hear them kicking in wen stationary

Thanks

Martin

Want to add a reply? Contact Me