Stuart's Volkswagen Golf Mk 7/VII Forum

Previous Topic | Forum Index | Next Topic

Engine restarts automatically when vehicle in front moves

Posted by private, Fri 8 Feb 2019 3:28 pm
I have just read the post about the engine stop/start function and the engine restarting when a vehicle in front has moved away. This is not a fault as my 2018 Golf does this, I assumed it is connected to the active cruise control front sensors. I must admit I like the function once I got my head around what was happening.
Posted by StuartDalby, Sun 10 Feb 2019 6:36 pm
Hi Nick,

Thanks for your message. It does sound like this is normal functionality for newer cars. At least the original poster to my website can now be re-assured that there is nothing wrong with his car.

I'm glad you are happy with this feature. I wonder if this is intended to reduce the time before pulling away in cars fitted with automatic transmissions? With a manual gearbox (like in my Mk 7) I don't think there would be any benefit. In fact I think there's a good chance it would annoy me. Sometimes when queuing, the car in front might creep forward before I can see the road ahead of them to be clear. Consequently, I currently delay pressing the clutch (and starting the engine) but with this new feature, the engine would start sooner than I would prefer.

Thanks again,
Stuart
Posted by private, Mon 11 Feb 2019 7:35 am
Hi Stuart,

I should have also mentioned I have the DSG gearbox so the feature is more suitable for this arrangement.

Regards,

Nick

Want to comment on this page? Contact Me