Stuart's Volkswagen Golf Mk 5/V Forum

Previous Topic | Forum Index | Next Topic

Alarm sets automatically

Posted by keithmt, Sun 16 Apr 2017 9:46 am
I have this strange issue with the alarm on my 56 plate 1.9 tdi.

If I close all of the cars doors without locking them, after a short time when I open any door the alarm goes off. This happens regardless of whether the keys are in the ignition or not. I've done some testing whilst sitting in the car and noticed that the button on the B pillar stays illuminated for a while after the final door is shut. Opening a door whilst this light is on and the alarm doesn't sound. But if I wait for this light to go out (takes exactly 30 seconds) opening any door sounds the alarm.

So something is setting the alarm on 30 seconds after shutting the last door although the LED by the driver's window isn't on or flashing.

A couple of things to bear in mind.....

1) I did change the car's battery about a year ago although I can't remember if this problem started just after this.

2) I did borrow a mate's VCDS cable and had a "play" with various settings (uh-oh).

I've tried to google this to find what happens 30 seconds after closing the doors. The only thing I can find is the "Coming Home" setting although I haven't yet tried changing this.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Keith

If you find this information useful, please consider supporting this website.

Posted by StuartDalby, Sun 16 Apr 2017 11:39 am
If the alarm is arming even without you locking the car it sounds like it is arming automatically. This is not standard behaviour and so it sounds like you may have inadvertently set this using VCDS. VCDS keeps a log of all changes. It's a text file under the VCDS directory. Try to find that and back-track.

The alarm takes about 30 seconds to initialise after setting. I think this would explain why the alarm does not trigger if you open a door during this period.

Also, the LED by the drivers window I think is usually illuminated during initialisation and then flashes every few seconds when the alarm is armed and active. If this is not illuminating at all on your car, I think it is again probably something you have changed with VCDS. I don't think the battery change would have caused this.

Hope that helps. Let us know how you get on,
Stuart
Posted by keithmt, Sun 16 Apr 2017 11:07 pm
Thanks for the prompt reply Stuart, you're probably right that my "playing" with VCDS may be the cause. I'll get the cable off my mate and have a look. Thanks for the tip about the log file.

BTW, the LED does work as normal when the car is locked properly, just not when it auto-sets after 30 secs.

I'll post an update once I've had another play.

Thanks again.

Keith

Want to add a reply? Contact Me