Stuart's Volkswagen Golf Mk 5/V Forum

Previous Topic | Forum Index | Next Topic

Front Wipers

Posted by private, Wed 8 Mar 2017 6:07 pm Edit | Delete
Hello Stuart

My mk5 golf wipers wen u stop them or turn them off then go to the bottom and then they go up about half a inch if you do it twice out of the 2 times they will only do it once

Thanks

Martin
Posted by StuartDalby, Wed 8 Mar 2017 7:16 pm
They are meant to do this. It extends the life of the wiper blades.

Stuart
Posted by private, Wed 8 Mar 2017 7:31 pm Edit | Delete
How does that extend the life of the wiper arm
Posted by private, Wed 8 Mar 2017 7:35 pm Edit | Delete
And wen you put them in auto mode wen they get to the bottom they stay there for about 20 seconds then go down half a inch to the bottom. But on quick wipe they go down then go back up half inch very strange. But I think wiper motor is making a noise or wiper mechanism wen they go down wen they are on. So may get a new motor and mechanism and a new relay put in what do you think
Posted by StuartDalby, Thu 9 Mar 2017 11:16 am
The wipers on the Mk 5 are quite sophisticated. When they are in use, they don't stop so low down and also alternate which side of the blade is left leaning against the windscreen. This is the moving half an inch I think you are seeing on your car. If they always rested on the same side of the blade, they would wear quicker. When the wipers are not in use (either switched off or as determined by the Auto system) the wipers drop further down the windscreen to keep them out of wind flow but may jump back a bit if it determines it needs to alternate the blade's leaning (if that makes sense).

Your car's wipers sound to be working ok apart from there shouldn't be any strange noise. Also, I've not heard of the wipers being a common failure point in the Mk 5.

Stuart
Posted by private, Thu 9 Mar 2017 11:58 am Edit | Delete
So it could be a wiper mechanism and motor that could need replacing ? But as you say that's how the wipers work by shuffling about

Thanks

Martin
Posted by private, Thu 9 Mar 2017 1:13 pm Edit | Delete
I sprayed all the wiper mechanism but will see wat happens now

Want to comment on this page? Contact Me