Stuart's Volkswagen Golf Mk 7/VII Forum

Previous Topic | Forum Index | Next Topic

Stop/Start Strange Behaviour

Posted by private, Mon 22 Jan 2018 9:51 am Edit | Delete
Hi there, I bought a new VW Golf SE 1.4 TSI mk 7 in 2014, liked it a lot, so in June 2017 I traded it in for a new Golf SE NAV 1.4 TSI model. I like the additional folding mirrors, parking sensors, and Sat Nav.
From a driving point of view, the main difference is Stop/Start, my new car functions as follows:
When heated up and running normally e.g. during the commuting run, the engine switches off when I'm stationary and neutral in queued traffic. Then when the car in front pulls away, it switches on my engine. The front sensor clearly recognises that the car in front has pulled away, takes control, and switches the engine back on for me - I have done nothing!
This causes my passengers much amusement. My previous 2014 mark 7 didn't do this. I have quizzed my local dealer, and searched the internet, but can't find anything on this.
Do you have any insight into this strange feature? Is this an unannounced upgrade?
Many thanks, I hope you can help.
Neil
Posted by StuartDalby, Mon 22 Jan 2018 10:07 am
Hi Neil,

Thank you for telling me about your Golf Mk 7s. I've never heard of any car, let along the Mk 7 starting up again automatically just because the car in front pulls away but it wouldn't surprise me. It could be a new and not widely known update. Here is Volkswagen's description of how the Stop/Start system works: http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/stop-start.

That said, I know the engine can re-start automatically for a number of reasons such as battery charge drops to a low level, increased electrical load (i.e. turning on the A/C). I could also imagine if the car in front belched out a load of smoke your Mk7 would probably switch the HVAC system into Air Recirculation mode automatically and there's a slight chance that this increased electrical load could trigger the engine to restart. Bit of a long shot that though.

Does your car re-start automatically every time the cars in the front pull away? I'm intrigued! Please let me know if you find out more about this.

Stuart
Posted by private, Mon 22 Jan 2018 8:48 pm Edit | Delete
Hi Stuart,
First, many thanks for your quick reply.

Yes it happens every time without fail, and has happened from day 1 of ownership, winter or summer, rain or shine, 5 miles or 50 miles.

This causes much amusement - the car in front is in control of my engine, rather than me the driver!
Just to give you an additional laugh, I have been queued in 2 lines of stationary traffic. The line of traffic next to me moved forward, and started my engine, despite my line of traffic not moving. The sensor has obviously detected forward movement next to my line of traffic - and switched on!

My dealer doesn't believe me, and keeps asking "is the engine properly warmed up?" or "is the ACC switched on?"
I've promised to demonstrate it to them at my 1st service in June 2018.

It's difficult to believe it's a planned upgrade by VW, since it would be on the internet, and would have come to light by now?
Is it possibly a computing glitch, or a disgruntled assembly-line employee?!
I'll definitely keep you posted if I hear anything at all about this - I can live with it!

And many thanks once again!
Neil
Posted by StuartDalby, Mon 22 Jan 2018 8:49 pm
Hi Neil,

Thanks for getting back to me. At first I thought this was a harmless feature but I guess I wouldn't like it if the engine started because vehicles in the next lane started moving. I suspect something isn't quite right somewhere and hopefully when your VW dealer sees it for themselves they will plug in their diagnostic tool and something will show up.

Enjoy being the owner of a one-off!

Stuart

Want to comment on this page? Contact Me