Stuart's Volkswagen Golf Mk 5/V Forum

Previous Topic | Forum Index | Next Topic

Rear boot badge white worm issue

Posted by private, Thu 8 Feb 2018 10:44 am Edit | Delete
Hi Stuart - hope you can help. I just bought a 05 MK5 Golf. The rear boot badge has the white worm issue and I've been searching endlessly on the internet finding out how to remove the badge and replace it with a new one, but seeing a lot of conflicting info. Some people say you can just pull it off, some are saying you need to undo the wipers from the inside and the boot mechanism etc. Have you any idea on how to do this? Also would I need to replace it with a MK4 rear boot badge or just find a MK5 one on ebay?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Suraj
Posted by StuartDalby, Thu 8 Feb 2018 10:55 am
Hi Suraj,

Thanks for your email. Hope you are enjoying your Mk 5.

Whilst my Mk 5 did have this white worm issue it never bothered me enough to do anything about it. I know it does bother many people and I've seen that people have managed to replace them by various methods with varying levels of success. Like you have found I don't think there is a single recommended method - different people have found different solutions. Needing to undo the wiper seems a bit excessive. If it was me I think I would first just try to prise the old emblem off. If that didn't work I'd look at removing the whole handle/emblem assembly which I imagine is only possible from the inside and then see what is possible.

I don't think you need to stick with an Mk 5 emblem. I think the size has remained the same since the Mk 4 and continues to this day. However I think the Mk 5 emblem was slightly embossed whereas I think they are more flat
now.

Sorry I can't given any first-hand experience,

Stuart
Posted by private, Thu 8 Feb 2018 10:58 am Edit | Delete
Hi Stuart,

thanks a lot for getting back to me and the advice. I will do as you mentioned and just try to pry it off first and go from there.

Much appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Suraj

Want to comment on this page? Contact Me