Stuart's Volkswagen Golf Mk 5/V Forum

Previous Topic | Forum Index | Next Topic

Boot will no longer open

Posted by private, Fri 20 Jul 2018 6:48 pm Edit | Delete
Hi,
I would really appreciate some help if you don't mind. I have a VW Golf Mk5 SE TDI CX06 LPK
The boot will no longer open, it was working intermittently now it just does not work.
Is there a manual release ?
Thanks in advance,
tim
Posted by StuartDalby, Sat 21 Jul 2018 9:10 am
Hi Tim,

There is a manual release. If you drop the back seats and look inside the boot you should see a circular access cover (you'll probably need a torch). If you prise this cover off it should reveal a lever which can be used to open the tailgate.

Please let me know how you get on,
Stuart
Posted by private, Sat 21 Jul 2018 12:42 pm Edit | Delete
Thanks Stuart,
I have found it. It actually worked this morning with the key , first time in about 15 attempts, I have noticed that the rear windscreen wiper no longer works also.
Sounds like the wiring perhaps ?
Thanks again for getting back.
Tim
Posted by StuartDalby, Sat 21 Jul 2018 1:36 pm
Sounds like classic snapped tailgate wires: https://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5/tailgate_snapped_wires

Stuart
Posted by private, Sat 21 Jul 2018 2:15 pm Edit | Delete
Hi Stuart,
Thanks so much for getting back again, I have looked at the wires on both sides and they seem fine, I have checked both ends and the middle of the wires, no sign of damage.
What else could it be ?
Thanks in advance,
Tim
Posted by StuartDalby, Sat 21 Jul 2018 2:44 pm
Hi Tim,

I initially thought my car's wiring was ok but on a second, closer look I discovered an earth cable was barely connected. You car's problems do sound like this but if you are certain the wires are in tact the only other thing I could suggest is you check all the wiring connections in the tailgate.

Hope that helps,
Stuart
Posted by private, Sat 21 Jul 2018 5:29 pm Edit | Delete
Stuart,
After I have checked the wires, whilst I parked the car after a short drive the windscreen wiper moved.
The boot and wiper now works every time so there must be some loose connection somewhere after I inspected the wires I have somehow fixed it, though I don't expect it to last !!!
Thanks for all your help,
Tim

Want to comment on this page? Contact Me