Stuart's Volkswagen Golf Mk 7/VII Forum

Previous Topic | Forum Index | Next Topic

DPFs and active regen

Posted by private, Tue 31 Jul 2018 10:29 pm Edit | Delete
Hi Stuart , yes useful info on DPFs and active regen helping me to explain my MK 7 TDIs (3000miles ) behaviour today : my start stop was exactly as disengaged and fan ran after engine turn off . My question is despite your journey break down , I'm still a little unclear on how I should drive to optimise performance if the problem persists ( as most of my driving is city based ) should I follow your diagnostic driving plan ? Also Isn't this a little disconcerting for a nearly 4K mileage or is it normal :
Kind regards
Rory
Posted by StuartDalby, Wed 1 Aug 2018 6:24 am
Hi Rory,

I don't think you have anything to be worried about. I found that active regens are required every 250 miles or so. If your car has covered 3-4k miles and you have only interrupted a regen once (as indicated by the cooling fan running on after turning off the engine), this suggests the car has completed several regens without you being aware.

I don't think you need to do anything special unless the DPF warning light appears in the dash. If that happens, then go for a longer drive like the one described on my website.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more concerns,
Stuart
Posted by private, Wed 1 Aug 2018 9:33 am Edit | Delete
Thanks for the advice Stuart
Posted by private, Wed 1 Aug 2018 9:48 am Edit | Delete
Oh yes sorry what’s your opinion do n supermarket fuels do you use them ?
Posted by private, Wed 1 Aug 2018 1:08 pm Edit | Delete
Just read your blog on topic , Stuart I think I’ll continue with Tesco 🙂
Posted by private, Wed 8 Aug 2018 4:50 pm Edit | Delete
Hi again Stuart actually , I’ve had the car approximately three weeks and in that time I think I’ve experienced active regen about three or four occasions . like yourself, the majority Of my driving is in eco-mode based around short city trips. Have I made a mistake in purchasing a diesel ? and does this active regen seem like a lot to you ? I am considering returning the car based on this and getting a petrol engine?
I Really appreciate your thoughts

Regards Rory
Posted by StuartDalby, Thu 9 Aug 2018 10:38 am
Hi Rory,

So you’ve had the car (from new?) for about 3 weeks and done nearly 4k miles and you’ve noticed interrupted active regens (as indicated by the fan staying on after engine shutdown) about 3 or 4 times? I think it’s likely that your car has actually completed many more active regens without issue. Like I said, I don’t think you need to change your driving behaviour unless the DPF warning light comes on. That said, I don’t think diesels with DPFs are best when the majority of driving is short city trips. Maybe a petrol engined vehicle would be better for your kind of driving.

Stuart
Posted by private, Thu 9 Aug 2018 2:14 pm Edit | Delete
Hi Stuart thanks for taking the time to reply to my emails I understand you are busy. Basically I’ve had the car for 2 1/2 weeks I’ve brought it with 3000 on the clock I’ve roughly completed 1000 since then I noticed free maybe 3/4 active regens Over this time. Today I had the DPF checked and I discovered that oil ash mash was 1.8 G which I think is acceptable having read your webpage? I still have the option to return the car back to the dealership , and get a petrol engine . however , my mileage might increase over the coming weeks , months with a 50 mile round trip maybe 3/4 times a week between Northampton and Oxfordshire so I think I it might be worth keeping it..

Want to comment on this page? Contact Me