Stuart's Volkswagen Golf Mk 5/V Forum

Previous Topic | Forum Index | Next Topic

Cannot hear boot locking

Posted by private, Sun 19 Feb 2017 5:47 pm Edit | Delete
Hi
I have a mk5 golf 55 plate 1.9tdi se
Sill question why wen u lock the doors can you hear the locking of them but not on the boot. Even though the boot gets locked and opened .and the same when. You open it no locking sound but it opens
Posted by StuartDalby, Sun 19 Feb 2017 10:16 pm
Hi Martin,

That's completely normal. The locking/unlocking of the hatch is electrical. When you lock the car you effectively disconnect the switch (in the VW emblem/hatch opener) from the lock. Consequently, no sound.

Stuart
Posted by private, Sun 19 Feb 2017 10:52 pm Edit | Delete
Thank you very much and another question is does the boot sensor tell you that the boot is open on the dash board e.g. The little red car with the door open

Thanks

Martin
Posted by StuartDalby, Sun 19 Feb 2017 10:52 pm
I don't think it does. (I no longer have my Mk 5). I think the manual may have said there was a warning light on the dash but this never came on.

Stuart
Posted by private, Sun 19 Feb 2017 11:03 pm Edit | Delete
So am I right in saying that the warning light only works on the bonnet and doors not the boot and why would it not work on the boot that's very strange

Martin
Posted by StuartDalby, Sun 19 Feb 2017 11:14 pm
I don't even think my mk5 had a warning light for the doors. I recall that the interior light being on was my sign that a door hadn't been closed properly. I'm not even sure I got a warning if the bonnet wasn't closed properly.

My mk5 was a 04 registration, 2005 model year car. Maybe they changed this behaviour for your car.

Stuart
Posted by private, Sun 19 Feb 2017 11:21 pm Edit | Delete
Most probably
I have seen that my bonnet sensor has been cut as the bonnet cable snapped so they could not open it so had to open bonnet manually so would the sensor for boot work off bonnet sensor or could the boot sensor be faulty I m going to get a new bonnet sensor fitted next month so may get them to investigate

Martin
Posted by StuartDalby, Mon 20 Feb 2017 9:11 am
Hi Martin,

I don't think the boot sensor would work off the bonnet sensor.

The other thing these sensors are used for is the alarm's perimeter protection. If either a door, the bonnet or hatch is not closed properly the alarm will not arm. When you press the key fob to lock, the indicators will not flash to confirm the alarm arming. You could use this to check if the hatch sensor is working. If the bonnet sensor has been cut, I suspect the alarm will always arm even if the bonnet is open.

Stuart
Posted by private, Mon 20 Feb 2017 11:22 am Edit | Delete
The alarm always sets even though the bonnet is closed

Martin
Posted by StuartDalby, Mon 20 Feb 2017 11:22 am
Does the alarm set if the bonnet is open? It shouldn't.
Posted by private, Mon 20 Feb 2017 11:36 am Edit | Delete
Will check later on my lunch break
Posted by StuartDalby, Mon 20 Feb 2017 12:30 pm
I may have been wrong about the bonnet sensor preventing the alarm from being set if not closed. I've just checked on my Golf Mk 7 and the alarm can still be set with the bonnet open (even though the dash does show the bonnet open - weird!). But I double-checked that the alarm will not set if any door or the hatch is open.

Stuart

Want to comment on this page? Contact Me