Stuart's Volkswagen Golf Mk 5/V Forum

Previous Topic | Forum Index | Next Topic

Broken tailgate wires

Posted by private, Sat 15 Sep 2018 7:57 pm Edit | Delete
Hi,

Just found your very interesting site. I have had a Mk-5 since it became my company car in 2006, then bought when I left work. I found you when looking for info on the broken tailgate wires (your pictures look identical !! to what I have just found.)

Before I forget I need to ask if you have a trusted source and the part number for the wiring loom for both sides (trying to save myself the pain of searching the web and the high cost of VW spares.

My experience with the Mk-5 (which I really like) is mixed, I can fill you in on this at a later date, but with my low mileage various things have gone seriously wrong, long before I would expect them to. Read Which magazine on VW not being reliable in the long term.

Drop me a note if you are interested in the history of my car and the rather poor service from VW and their authorised dealer.

Regards

Eric...
Posted by StuartDalby, Mon 17 Sep 2018 9:44 am
Hi Eric,

Thanks for your email. Glad to hear that you found my website useful.

As my article on Tailgate Snapped Wires (https://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5/tailgate_snapped_wires) mentions, I got my local VW dealer to replace the affected part of the wiring harness. The part number was 1K6971147H. For other replacement parts which I bought myself I didn't have a single trusted source. I either bought from my local VW dealer or looked for genuine new parts on eBay. Except I think the last replacement door lock module (https://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5/rear_drivers_door_lock_replacement) when I purchased a non-genuine but new part for a 1/5 the price my VW dealer had charged me previously.

I liked my Mk5 but it certainly needed looking after as it got older. But then I guess any car would. I'd like to hear more about your Mk 5 experiences.

Stuart

Want to comment on this page? Contact Me