Stuart's Volkswagen Golf Mk 5/V Forum

Previous Topic | Forum Index | Next Topic

intermittent cruise control fault

Posted by private, Wed 26 Sep 2018 9:29 pm Edit | Delete
Hi Stuart. The intermittent cruise control fault on my Mk5 Golf GT 140 has been doing my head in. I did intend to remove the stalk completely from the steering column this weekend and try spraying contact cleaner into it. I did not realise the stalk could split so easily. I'll be trying this first. Thanks for the info. Weirdly my stalk only seems to have this fault in the early morning...
Ally
Posted by StuartDalby, Thu 27 Sep 2018 7:19 pm
Hi Ally,

Thanks for letting me know that you found my website useful. I guess humidity (or rather the lack of it) plays a part in making a good electrical contact in the switch and so that might explain why your car only exhibits this problem in the early morning. Just a thought.

Good luck with fixing it. Please let me know how you get on,
Stuart
Posted by private, Thu 27 Sep 2018 8:53 pm Edit | Delete
Hello Stuart, thanks for getting back in touch. I am pleased to report I split the stalk tonight and I was able to disconnect the switch mechanism from the wiring. The variety fitted to my Golf luckily has a plug connector on the switch mechanism. Once off I took the torx screws out of the connected circuit board and managed to disassemble the entire mechanism. Cleaned everything with contact cleaner. Now reassembled and refitted. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

All the best

Ally 🚗

Want to comment on this page? Contact Me