VW Golf Mk 7 Secrets
15th April 2017
The Golf Mk 7 includes many hidden or lesser known features not mentioned in the manual:
- When you indicate whilst the Daylight Running Lights are on, the light on the same side as you are indicating will temporarily extinguish to allow other road users to see your indication more clearly.
Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC) system
- With the Climatronic HVAC system, when in Auto mode, the fan will not come on until the engine is started.
Infotainment (Radio/Media) System
- With Eco Driving Mode selected, after turning on the ignition, the default view of the CAR screen on the Infotainment System will always be the "Convenience consumers" view. If you want to prevent this from happening (for example so that the Infotainment System retains its last view, e.g. Driving Data) you can select and setup the Individual Driving Mode to have the same options as the Eco Driving Mode.
- On the Car -> Vehicle Status page, clicking on the Auto Start-stop button displays the Start-stop system status page. This will usually show "Start-stop system is available" whilst driving if the Start-stop system is activated. However, if active regeneration of the diesel particulate filter is in progress (so long as at least one stop-start cycle of the engine has occured) this will display "Engine must be running" instead. This is useful for monitoring when DPF active regeneration is taking place.
- The Infotainment Systems on Golf Mk 7s support slide shows when in DAB mode. Unfortunately, no UK radio station currently uses this facility. See http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325
- http://www.haydnwilliams.com/blog/vw-golf-mk7-sd-cards-and-album-art for more information.
- YouTube video.
- Pressing and holding the power knob on the Infotainment System for about 10 seconds causes it to reset. I wonder if this also resets other modules within the car because sometimes after I have changed some parameters of the car using VCDS, these changes do not take effect until I either cycle the ignition or reset the Infotainment System. I prefer the latter method.
- The front doors feature "stepless door angling". This means that when opening a door, after the initial hard stop when the door is open just a jar, you can then open the door further to whatever angle you want and the door will stay exactly in place.
- Lane Assist system can perform two functions. The first is just to steer to prevent you leaving a lane but there is also a second, optional function which tries to keep your position within a lane. The continuous slight steering adjustments by this latter function can sometimes be undesirable. Fortunately it can be disabled by unchecking the "Adaptive lane guidance" checkbox on the Car->Setup->Driver assistance page of the Infotainment System.
- You may be able to receive Voice Over Internet (VOIP) calls over the car's bluetooth hands-free connection. I've found I am able to receive Skype calls using my iPhone 5S running iOS 10.
- You can view the State of Charge of your car's battery by, with the ignition off, holding down the 0.0/trip button for approximately 3 seconds and releasing when the MFD shows "Battery Status".
- From the Golf Mk 6, in cars with manual transmission, if you stall the engine, the engine will restart automatically when you engage the clutch.
- The Golf Mk 7 also includes many of the secrets I discovered on my Mk 5 Golf. Stuart's Golf Mk 5 Secrets page
Want to comment on this page? Contact Me